You’re looking for a backpack vacuum cleaner, but you’re not sure which one to buy. That’s understandable because you may also still be trying to choose between a canister, an upright, and a backpack vacuum cleaner all at the same time.
This article is about backpack vacuums, but you may be wondering why you would choose a backpack vacuum cleaner over a canister for instance. Most backpack vacuum cleaners are designed for commercial use and in the business world time is money. So if a company chooses a backpack vacuum over a canister or an upright vacuum, it’s because it not only does a good job of cleaning, it gets the work done fast.
As an example, according to ISAA, a worldwide cleaning industry association, the ProTeam backpack vacuums can clean a 2500 square feet facility in about 20 minutes compared to upright vacuums that may take up to 46 minutes to clean the same area. From this, you might also infer that a backpack vacuum should have an advantage over canister vacuums as well.
Let’s take a look at the advantages of a backpack vacuum cleaner over a canister vacuum or an upright vacuum cleaner.
- You can stand upright with the vacuum’s weight equally distributed while vacuuming which can reduce the stress and strain on muscles and backs you may get from dragging a canister vacuum or pushing an upright vacuum
- Canisters and uprights are heavier and can be more difficult to move around than a backpack vacuum many of which are lightweight vacuums
- Backpack vacuums have a higher reach for above floor cleaning, are highly portable, and make it easier to maneuver into tight spaces and around obstacles
- Most backpack vacuums are designed for commercial use and will have an efficiency and performance advantage over average canisters and uprights
- You generally don’t have to empty a backpack vacuum as often because of their efficiency and filtering
- Top backpack vacuums use HEPA filtration technology to keep the air cleaner
- Designed for commercial use, backpack vacuums will generally be more durable and have a longer useful life
- They also have fewer moving parts because they have no wheels or other mechanics associated with pulling or pushing them
Backpack vacs also have disadvantages that you need to consider.
- They will generally have fewer of the features you might be looking for in a canister or upright vacuum
- On average they cost more than uprights or canisters
- They may be better suited for commercial use than for around-the-home cleaning
The point is that backpack vacuums are popular for industrial cleaning because they allow workers to clean both floors and above floors faster.
If you decide on a backpack vacuum cleaner over an upright or canister vac, you may need some help in choosing the right model for you. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice.
- Go light! Remember, you have to carry this vacuum on your back. Pay attention to the weight of the vacuum you’re buying and your back will thank you later.
- Suction power is important, but how do you measure suction power? There are a lot of specifications you can look at like watts, amps, and water lift, but the most important measure is airflow measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM).
- Efficient filters will keep you from having to empty the bag as often and in the case of HEPA will keep the air cleaner
- Harness construction and design. Not all harnesses are created equal. Look for a harness that is well padded and well designed to hold the vacuum in balance on your back. If you’re a bigger person, make sure the harness belts can accommodate larger waists.
- A long power cord will make cleaning a lot easier. You will have to replug less often and will have more flexibility as to which outlets you can use.
- Which tools does the vacuum come with? Optional tool kits are usually available, but you can often save money by buying a vacuum that comes with a tool kit.
Also remember that backpack vacuums are not shop vacs or wet dry vacuums. They may look rugged and most are shaped like a canister, but they are for dry work only.
Take a look at list and see if one of these top-rated vacuum cleaners is the best vacuum cleaner to meet your needs!
Backpack Vacuum Cleaner: Top 5 Best Rated Backpack Vac
With 2 Peak HP and a 1-3/4 gallon capacity, the Shop-Vac 2850010 2.0-Peak HP Two-Stage Back Pack Vacuum Cleaner can tackle even large areas quickly and efficiently. It comes with a built-in tool belt and a top-carrying handle for handy access to its many useful tools and easy portability. An extra-long power cord and 7-quart filter bag, means you can go a long while before emptying or switching outlets. Here’s what you need to know.
- Powerful 2.0 Peak HP, industrial-grade, two-stage motor means plenty of suction power for tough cleaning jobs
- Large 1-3/4 gallon capacity and a 7-quart filter bag gives you plenty of cleaning time before emptying
- Lightweight vacuum, harness and aluminum wands reduce fatigue and back soreness and its compact size fits into tight spaces that other vacs can’t and provides for easier storage
- Super quite operation reduces fatigue and allows for more flexibility around the work place
- Handy tool belt provides easy onboard access to all your tools
- A top-carrying handle means easy portability between jobs
- An extra-long 50-foot power cord means less replugging and more flexibility in choosing your outlet
- 5-foot locking hose
Tools and Accessories
- 1 – 5-foot x 1-1/2-inch locking hose
- 2 – Lightweight locking aluminum extension wands
- 1 – 6-inch gulper nozzle
- 1 – Utility nozzle
- 1 – Round dusting brush
- 1 – Dual-surface selector nozzle for bare floors and carpeting
- 1 – Crevice tool
- 1 – Washable filter bag
- 1 – Disposable fine dust collection bag
- 1 – Tool belt
- One Year limited warranty
- Very fast and easy to use
- Long power cord is great
- Plenty of vacuum power
Shop-Vac 2850010 Brochure >>>
ProTeam is a popular brand of backpack vacuum because they produce some great products and the ProTeam Super QuarterVac HEPA Backpack Vacuum is a perfect example. With a 10 lb. body and 3.5 lb. telescoping wand, this vac is much lighter than traditional upright vacuums and easier on your back and arms. Here’s what you need to know.
- Large 6 qt. canister means longer cleaning periods without stopping to replace bags
- Ultra-lightweight at only 10 lbs. for the vacuum body and only 3.5 lbs. for the telescoping wand
- Moves easily across a variety of hard surfaces and low-pile carpets as well as easily tackling above-floor-areas like stairs, furniture, vents, ceiling fans, and light fixtures
- Unit’s flexible hose maneuvers better low and high
- An integrated tool belt keeps accessories within easy reach for efficient changeovers
- This ProTeam vacuum uses HEPA Media Filters to capture and contain 99.97% of allergens and asthma triggers 0.3 microns or larger
Tools and Accessories
- 2 – Intercept Micro Filters Bags
- 1 – Paper filter bag to capture dust
- 1 – Lightweight, height-adjustable telescoping wand
- 1 – All-purpose upholstery tool
- 1 – Dust and allergen-removing soft dusting brush
- 1 – 17-inch crevice tool
- 1 – Xover all-in-one floor tool for hard surface and low-pile carpet cleaning
- 1 – 50 ft. extension power cord
ProTeam Super QuarterVac Sales Sheet >>>
ProTeam Super QuarterVac User’s Manual >>>
Another lightweight vacuum at only 10 lbs., the GV 8-Quart Light Powerful HEPA Backpack Vacuum Blower can be used both as a vacuum or blower and comes with an air-driven brushroll power nozzle. This GV model is perfect for all your hard floor surfaces, low pile carpeting, and above-floor surfaces as well. Here’s what you need to know.
- Large 8-quart capacity means less stops for emptying
- 4-stage filtration system with sealed HEPA filter and HEPA bags
- Can be used as either a vacuum or a blower
- Powerful enough to have a unique air-driven brushroll power nozzle for better cleaning of hard floor surfaces, throw rugs, and carpet
- Crush-proof hose
- Easy-access on/off switch
- Onboard storage for tools and accessories
- Sealed HEPA filtration
- Comfortable padded shoulder and waist straps reduce fatigue
- Short 25-foot power cord
Tools and Accessories
- 1 – Air-driven brushroll nozzle
- 3 – Inflator tools used on exhaust cycle to blow and inflate for different size applications
- 6 – HEPA vacuum bags
- 1 – HEPA filter
- 1 – 8-quart SMS cloth bag
- 1 – Crevice tool
- 1 – Duster brush
- 1 – Upholstery tool
- 1 – Deluxe floor tool with switched modes for throw rug and hard floor surface modes
Long 2-Year warranty on the motor and 1-Year warranty on the power unit
GV 8-Quart Backpack Vacuum Demo Video
Clean easily without worrying about obstructions either on the floor or above floor with the Hoover C2401 Shoulder Vac Pro Commercial Backpack Vacuum. Weighing in at only 9.2 lbs. it is one of the lightest vacuums in our list, but also packs a powerful 8.5 amp motor. Here’s what you need to know about this Hoover vacuum.
- Powerful 8.5 amp motor
- Medium capacity of 6.4 quarts
- Chiropractor-designed, ergonomic harness has extra padding in the back pad and shoulder straps to reduce user stress, strain, and fatigue
- Hypercone HEPA media cartridge filter provides for consistent airflow from start to finish
- Handy clear canister dome lid allows you to see when you need to empty the canister
- Built-in hose reel
- Quiet operation at only 66dB
- Option of using a shake-out cloth liner or disposable paper bag inserts
- Extra-long 48-foot 3-prong power cord
- Weighs in at only 9.2 lbs.
Tools and Accessories
- 1 – Backpack
- 1 – 60-inch positive locking hose
- 2 – 38-inch straight metal wands
- 1 – 6-inch crevice tool
- 1 – 11-inch turbo floor tool
- 1 – 2-inch dusting brush
- 1 – 4-inch upholstery tool
- 1 – HEPA media filter
- 1 – 7-pack Type BP filter bags
Long 2-year warranty
- Heavy-duty construction
- Very powerful suction
- Long power cord
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Not for thicker carpets
- Attachments don’t lock into place
- Noisy operation
- Bristle brush collapses easily blocking suction
Hoover C2401 Shoulder Vac Pro Product Manual >>>
Rubbermaid makes some great commercial vacuums and the Rubbermaid Commercial Executive Series 6-quart Backpack Vacuum Cleaner is no exception. With a powerful 100 CFM airflow, quiet 66 dBA operation, comfortable, innovative flow-through harness frame design, the Rubbermaid Commercial Executive Series 8-Amp, 6-Quart Backpack Vacuum Cleaner is designed to work quickly, quietly, and comfortably. Here’s what you need to know.
- Powerful 8 amp motor with 110 CFM airflow and 100 water lift
- Quiet 66 dBA operation provides more flexibility in operating times and locations
- Medium 6-quart capacity is large enough to keep you cleaning for long periods between empties
- Fully-adjustable harness with innovative frame design provides flow-through cooling that keeps motor heat away from your body reducing discomfort and fatigue
- Swivel-head nozzle helps you maneuver around obstacles easier
- Medium length 40-foot, 3-wire power cord
- Hard-mounted cord restraint helps prevents cord damage and strain
- Sealed vacuum bags keep allergens and dust from escaping to the environment
- Top-mounted on/off switch is easy for the operator to reach
- This unit is LEED point-qualified and has the CRI Seal of Approval
Tools and Accessories
- 1 – Flexible hose
- 1 – Crevice tool
- 1 – Floor tool
- 2 – Aluminum wands
- 1 – Dusting brush
- 1 – Upholstery tool
- 1 – Package sealed vacuum bags
Dimensions of unit are 14.4L x 14.0W x 31.2H inches
Looking for a larger version? Go here to see the 10-quart model >>>
- Lightweight and powerful
- Quiet operation
- Great suction
- HEPA filter bags
- Won’t deep clean carpets
- Extra cost for floor tool
- Heavy for smaller users
- Poor assembly instructions
Backpack Vacuum Cleaner Comparison Chart
|Title||GV 8 Qt Quart Light Powerful HEPA BackPack Vacuum blower Loaded w 2 year warranty||Rubbermaid Commercial Executive Series Backpack Vacuum Cleaner, 8A Power, 6 qt Capacity, 11-1/2" Length x 13" Width x 21-3/32" Height, Black||Hoover C2401 Shoulder Vac Pro Commercial Back Pack Vacuum with 1-1/2-Inch Attachment Kit||New GV Professional Backpack HEPA vacuum with 1 1/2 tool kit and factory warranty||ProTeam Super QuarterVac HEPA Backpack Vacuum w/ Versatile Tool Kit & Telescoping Wand, 6 quart||Shop-Vac 2860010 6.5-Peak HP Industrial BackPack Vacuum||Sanitaire EUKSC412A Quiet Clean Backpack Lightweight Vacuum, 11.5 Amps Power, 21" Length x 10-1/2" Width x 10-1/2" Height, Black/Red|
|Feature||Brand New powerful but lightweight (only 10 lbs) backpack vacuum loaded with tools and power head.|
Large 8 quart bag size.
4 Stage HEPA filtration.
Comes with a 25ft cord.
2 Year Motor Warranty.
|Backpack vacuum cleaner is more portable than a typical canister or upright vacuum and allows greater freedom of motion|
Provides up to 110 cu. ft. per minute of air flow and up to 100" of water lift, which is a measure of suction
Includes flexible hose, crevice tool, floor tool, aluminum wands, upholstery tool, and dusting brush for different cleaning tasks
Has a 6-qt. capacity; measures 11-1/2 x 13 x 21-3/32 inches (L x W x H)
Has received Green Label and Bronze Seal of Approval from CRI; can contribute points to LEED certification
|You can check the amount of debris and dust at any time with its clear dome lid|
Can carry up to 6.4 quarts of dust and debris
Easy to carry and uses a design approved by chiropractors
HEPA filtration takes away many particulates, such as allergens, pollen, dust mites, and more
Lightweight for less fatigue, only weighs 9.2 lbs.
|Lightweight and super easy to use. Molded polyethylene vacuum only weighs 10 lbs! If you have lots of hardfloor surfaces in your home or business then this vacuum is for you. You will be amazed at how much time you save by cleaning with the GV 6 quart.|
Powerful - Comes with powerful 10 AMP motor, 104 Cubic Feet per minute of air moved, and 100 inches of water lift (for being so light and easy to use thats a lot of power). 65 decibels of sound.
Commercial grade 1 1/2" tool kit this light and easy back pack vacuum is designed for the toughest of jobs.
2 Year Motor Manufacturer Warranty & you will love this vacuum so much it even comes with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
Sealed HEPA filtration!
|Smaller yet equally powerfull sibling of the Super CoachVac backpack vacuum.|
Versitle enough for any sized cleaning professional.
Formidable tool for battling poor indoor air quality (IAQ).
|Accessories Included: 4-foot x 1 1/4-inch LockOn Hose, (2) Metal Extension Wands w/ Positive-Lock, Dual Surface Nozzle, Cartridge Filter, Disposable Fine Dust Collection Bag|
1 Year Warranty
25' Power Cord
Convenient Tool Storage Belt
Easy reach on/off switch
|Lightweight, backpack vacuum is ideal for hard-to-reach places and for moving around offices and larger work spaces|
CRI seal of approval certified model is well-equipped with four-stage filtration
5 amperes of power, and a wide assortment of 1-1/2-inches attachments for carpet and bare floor cleaning
HEPA filter will remove 99.97 percent of particles down to 0.3 microns
2 year warranty
|Height||44 inch||20 inch||14 inch||24.5 inch||19 inch|
|Weight||10 pound||10 pound||17 pound||11.5 pound|
|Width||13.5 inch||10 inch||14 inch||11.5 inch||10.5 inch|
|Length||10 inch||10 inch||33 inch||12.75 inch||33 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Mar 19 16:00:12 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these backpack vacuums? Which vacuum cleaner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our vacuum cleaner post! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you choose the best backpack vacuum cleaner for your needs!